Sunday, November 4, 2007

I Had To Cross a High River by Swimming!

This happened about 2 years ago. It was exactly November 18, 2005. I was working in a small town outside the city, which in winter time it was so hard to get to. I usually travelled every day to my job, but sometimes I stayed there over the week. It was a Friday afternoon, a very rainy day, two of my friends and I were ready to go home; but something very unusual happened that day, we couldn’t travel because one of the bridges on our way was damaged by rain. It was too late to look for a way to leave, so we had to stay one more night. How sad…

The next day, the situation was worse, the rain damaged not only a bridge, 10 miles of the road were destroyed. There were little rivers along of road where there weren’t before. Worried about all our errands that we had to do in the city, we decided to go. Helped by a friend, we drove three miles to get to the first river, which was swollen out of its banks. We had to cross it. It wasn’t too high, but it was strong. Successfully we crossed!

On our way we joined many walkers who had our same problem. We walked sometimes and sometimes we got a ride in a car, but our major problem was when we arrived at our last river and it was higher than we expected. We were about to turn back and stay the weekend in the town we came from, but that would be frustrating to stay there for two weeks. One of my friends decided that she would cross the river by swimming. I was so scared because the river was so strong, she was helped by people who were doing the same and she made it! I was sad because I didn’t want to go back. Finally, after thinking about it, I decided to cross the river too. I had a plastic bag in my back pack that I used to put my bag pack in. I was helped by other swimmers as I crossed the river. It was exciting and scary, but I made it! I arrived home about frozen, but it was one of the most exciting adventures in my life.

No comments: